Get ready 'cause here I come
~The Temptations, "Get Ready"
With about six weeks until the next election and in-person absentee voting beginning today, I wanted to share some information that may be useful this election cycle, including information about registering to vote and voting absentee.
Please be aware that the deadline to register to vote in this year's election is Tuesday, October 17th.
At the Virginia State Board of Elections website, you can check your registration status and confirm your polling place. In addition, voter ID laws are in effect. The list of accepted forms of ID and other related information can be found here.
City of Falls Church Guide to the 2016 Election
- In-Person Absentee voting begins Friday, September 23rd at City Hall, weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Closed Monday, October 10th for the holiday
- Open Saturdays, October 29th and November 5th, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Last Day to vote In-Person Absentee is Saturday, November 5th, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Last Day to request an absentee ballot by mail is Tuesday, November 1st at 5:00 p.m
Fairfax County Guide to the 2016 Election
- 8th Congressional District Sample Ballot
- 10th Congressional District Sample Ballot
- 11th Congressional District Sample Ballot
- Last Date to Apply for an Absentee Ballot by Mail, Fax or Email: November 1st at 5:00 p.m.
- Last Day to Vote Absentee In-Person: November 5th
In-Person Absentee Voting - Fairfax County Government Center
Weekdays - September 23rd to October 14th
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 10th, Columbus Day - OFFICE CLOSED
Weekdays - October 17th to November 4th
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays - October 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th and November 5th
- 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- For information on Satellite Voting Locations, click here.
Referenda & Constitutional Amendments
For Falls Church, there is a referendum on library bonds.
For Fairfax County, there are referenda involving bonds for our parks, human services, and transportation. In addition, you will also be able to vote on a Meals Tax, which would allow Fairfax County to enact a tax rate of up to 4%. If passed, the additional estimated revenue is $99 million per year. 70% of this would be earmarked for FCPS and the remaining 30% would go to other County programs and services. I support the meals tax.
Two constitutional amendments will be on ballots all over the state. One amendment attempts to codify the Right to Work provision, which I am against. The second one gives localities the option to exempt the surviving spouse of any law-enforcement officer, firefighter, search and rescue personnel, or emergency medical services personnel who is killed in the line of duty from real property taxes. I support this amendment.
Election Day Tips
- Polls officially close at 7:00 p.m., but everyone waiting in line at that time must be given the opportunity to cast their ballots.
- If the voting equipment malfunctions at your polling place, inform the election officials immediately. If the equipment cannot be repaired in a timely manner, you may then request an emergency paper ballot.
- If you are elderly or disabled, or otherwise unable to enter the polling location without physical assistance, curbside voting will be made available to you at your assigned polling place.
- If you previously requested and received an absentee ballot, but prefer to cast your vote in person on Election Day, be sure to return the unopened ballot to either the local Electoral Board or to the General Registrar before Election Day, or to the election official at your polling place. This will enable you to cast a regular ballot on Election Day.
Questions: call 1--866-OUR-VOTE (687-8683)