Wednesday, April 26, 2017

I-66 Update - No Gallows Flyover

I wanted to make sure that you heard the good news about the I-66 Project update that I just received this morning!

I just got off of the phone with representatives from Express Mobility Partners (EMP) who wanted to let me know that they are abandoning their preliminary plans to use a large flyover ramp at Gallows Road near Dunn Loring to avoid an electric facility at the Dunn Loring Metro. VDOT, EMP and WMATA worked together, based on your objections, to find alternatives to the large, unsightly ramp. Although they haven’t settled on a specific alternative yet, they are now confident enough that options exist to announce the ramp will not be necessary.

As the rest of the project moves forward, please know that I will continue to work to ensure that the needs of our community are met while also limiting the overall footprint of the project.

You can view my full statement on this announcement below.

PRESS STATEMENT


For Immediate Release

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Statement from Delegate Simon on the I-66 Project Update

Richmond, VA – Virginia Delegate Marcus B. Simon (HD-53), whose district is heavily impacted by the planned installation of express toll lanes on I-66, issued this statement today regarding the recent decision to remove a proposed flyover ramp in Dunn Loring from the project plans.

"I was pleased to get a call this morning from Express Mobility Partners (EMP) letting me know that they are abandoning their plans to build a flyover ramp at Gallows Road in Dunn Loring, in response to community concerns. I want to thank VDOT and EMP for their willingness to listen to the community and for working with Senator Dick Saslaw, Senator Chap Petersen, Delegate Mark Keam, and myself to ensure those concerned were addressed early in the process. I credit Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Lane and Governor McAuliffe for their leadership in working with WMATA and the EMP team to make the ramp unnecessary and not letting this issue linger when it became clear there were alternatives available."

More details on the I-66 Outside the Beltway Project can be found at http://outside.transform66.org/

###