Monday, October 9, 2017

Bound to get together

We were victims of the night
The chemical, physical, kryptonite
Helpless to the bass and the fading light
Oh we were bound to get together Bound to get together
 

~Walk the Moon, "Shut Up and Dance"

After last week's e-newsletter about what we can do about gun violence prevention, I wanted to take this opportunity to talk about other bipartisan efforts I've worked on. With Election Day only a month away, it's important that we look ahead.

So, starting this week and going until the election on November 7th, I'll be devoting my almost weekly e-newsletter to reminding you about some of the things I've been up to for the last four years and what I've planned for the next two - should I be re-elected.

Bound to Work Together

My original campaign slogan was "Working Harder, Working Together." I'd like to think that I've delivered on both of those campaign promises during my first two terms as Delegate.

Each Session, there are about 3,000 bills and resolutions that are introduced to be considered during our 45 or 60 day sessions. Starting with the 2014 Session, I have co-patroned 622 pieces of legislation, 422 of which were passed by both the House and the Senate.

In 2014, I introduced HB 49, which prohibited the sharing or selling of pictures of another person without their consent. During the legislative process, my bill was incorporated into HB 326, introduced by a more senior Republican who happened to be the chair of subcommittee that would have to advance the bill. We continued to work together on it as it moved through the committee process. Eventually, the bill made it to the full House for a vote where it passed 99 to 1, then passed the Senate, and was signed into law by the Governor.

In 2015, I had three Republicans co-patron my fair housing legislation to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

In 2016, I worked with three prominent Republicans as chief co-patrons on bills we shared. I worked with a now GOP Congressman on our fair housing bill - a version which passed the Senate in bi-partisan fashion in both 2016 and 2017. With a few pick-ups this November, I'm confident it will pass the House as well in 2018.

I worked with a former GOP Lt. Governor candidate as chief co-patron of our bill to allow students to refinance their federal student loans. That bill was carried over for study by SCHEV and continues to enjoy broad bi-partisan support as we continue to work out the mechanics and details of how to administer and fund the program.

I even chief co-patroned with the House Majority Whip on a bill that made Virginia the first state in the country to pass legislation to regulate Daily Fantasy Sports websites. Working for Us

In this age where much of politics has gotten so tribal, it's not always easy to work across party lines. I've deliberately left the names of my colleagues out of this to try to minimize any grief they may get from their own political base during an election year.

Sometimes working for us means standing strong and playing defense against legislation that is harmful to our shared vision for Virginia. And sometimes it means working with folks who you don't often have much in common with to get things through a legislature where you are outnumbered 2 to 1.

I'm working hard to make sure that your voices are heard in Richmond.