Tuesday, October 3, 2017

I won't back down

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground

~Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, "I Won't Back Down"
(October 20, 1950 – October 2, 2017)


It’s getting hard to plan ahead. Several weeks ago I mapped out an e-mail plan for the last few weeks for the campaign that was supposed to start yesterday morning.

Week 1 was going to be about how "Working for Us" sometimes means working together with the majority party in Richmond, sometimes without receiving top-billing for all the hard work.

When I woke up, though, and saw the horrible news alerts pinging my phone, my heart sank. I decided to wait to send my first e-mail.

Then I decided that now is the right time to have a political discussion about common sense gun violence prevention measures we can and should be taking to keep our families and community safe. I mean, the NRA is all set to flood political campaigns with contributions and their own political ads (like the $750,000 TV ads in Virginia they have now scheduled for October 10th). Let’s air both sides of the story.

When Thoughts and Prayers Aren't Enough


Talking to family, friends, and constituents about this, I often hear the same questions. What can we do? What can be done?

Some of you know that I've introduced legislation over the years to help curb the proliferation of guns in our community. None of these bills ever made it out of subcommittee, but they have stimulated discussions, some of which have led to actual policy changes, even here in Virginia.

HB 48/HB 2328 - My very first bill would have prohibited anyone who is convicted of domestic violence from possessing, transporting, or carrying a firearm following a conviction. HB 2328 would require the individual to turn their firearms in to local law enforcement. A version of these two policies passed in 2016, as part of a compromise regarding concealed carry reciprocity.

HB 1142/HB 2359 - Twice I’ve introduced bills that would actually require concealed carry permit holders to demonstrate competence with a handgun. Under current law, you can take an online course that requires no interaction with an instructor or even a demonstration of handling the firearm. Can you imagine licensing drivers of cars without making them take behind the wheel training and passing a road test?

HB 1671/HB 1685 - Twice I’ve carried bills for Governor McAuliffe to reinstate Virginia’s effective one handgun per month purchase policy. This policy was repealed in 2012 after decades of success in preventing "straw man" purchases in Virginia that were later linked to crimes in other states.

HB 149/HB 425 - Would have been Virginia’s version of No Fly No Buy. Individuals who are on the federal Terrorist Screening Database would have been disqualified from obtaining a concealed handgun permit and purchasing a handgun.

HB 423/HB424 - In response to the opening of a gun store next to a local elementary school in McLean, would have prevented individuals from possessing a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school or at least allow localities to adopt ordinances prohibiting firearms within a school zone at their option.

HB 1313 - Would have simply allowed an individual requesting a protective order to request that order include language requiring their stalker or abuser to surrender any firearms to law enforcement.

HB 1683 - Prohibits the carrying of a loaded shotgun or rifle in places open to the public in certain cities and counties.

HB 1684 - Restricts access to firearms for those under 14. Firearms must be reasonably secured or individual is guilty of a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

HB 2466 - Requires all dealers who sell or transfer any handgun to also have personalized handguns available for sale i.e. smart gun technology.

I know many of us feel helpless in the face of all the bad news that seems to be overwhelming our newsfeeds. In Virginia we aren’t - in just over a month we have a chance to make our voices heard by voting. We can send a message that we won’t accept regular mass shootings, inept government response to crises, and divisive debates about who is a true patriot to become the new normal - not here in Virginia.

We have an opportunity to vote out the author of the bill that repealed Virginia’s effective, common sense one handgun a month purchase limit. We have the opportunity to vote out legislators who blocked legislation to ban high capacity ammunition clips, and limit where you can open carry machine guns. So, please be sure to register to vote and then either vote early or on November 7th. We can do this together.