Monday, January 14, 2019

2019 Session - Week 1

I need equal rights and justice
I need equal rights and justice
I need equal rights and justice
Got to get it, equal rights and justice

~Peter Tosh, "Equal Rights"



The 2019 Session began on Wednesday, January 9th and although it’s been less than a week since we started, I thought I’d go ahead and send out my first weekly e-mail today, since it is a short session (46 days).

Because it’s a short session, each member is limited to introducing 15 bills. That adds up quickly though, as we have already seen over 1,250 bills introduced, plus constitutional amendments, budget amendments, and other resolutions.

That’s a lot. And our session is even shorter than it seems, since every bill has to pass the house in which it was introduced by the halfway/crossover point. That makes the first three weeks of session by far the busiest and most hectic. I've already been meeting with advocates and constituent groups in between being on the floor and attending committee meetings.

Governor's State of the Commonwealth Address

Governor Northam gave his State of the Commonwealth address to the joint session on Wednesday, outlining his priorities for the year. I'm pleased to say that I'm carrying three of the Governor's priority bills - licensing of student loan servicers, prohibiting the use of campaign funds for personal use, and in-state tuition for Virginia National Guard members.

Overall, the Governor focused on key issues for Virginians including healthcare, education, environmental protection, workforce development, and improved access to parental leave.

You can read the Governor's full address or watch the video here.

My 2019 Legislative Agenda

As I mentioned, we are limited in the number of bills we can introduce during a short session. You'd think 15 bills would be plenty, but when you get down to what you think is important it can be surprisingly challenging.

This year, I have a combination of bills that were brought to me by constituents, state agencies, advocates, and of course the Governor. Here's a sampling:

HB 1690 | Adds the MWAA Police to the Line of Duty Act

HB 1691 | Restricts the 3D printing of guns

HB 1699 | Prohibits the personal use of campaign funds

HB 1760 | Requires student loan servicing companies to get a license to operate in Virginia

HB 1829 | Allows localities to establish public financing of campaigns

HB 1850 | Raises the minimum to $15 per hour

HB 1904 | Allows for same day voter registration

HB 2210 | Legalizes online sports betting with enhanced consumer protections

HJ 598 | A constitutional amendment codifying the right to vote

You can view my full legislative agenda here.

Constituent Services

I've already been hearing from many of you on a variety of topics, including the ERA, redistricting reform, the Solar Freedom bill, education funding, and voting rights - just to name a few!

During Session, you can always reach out to my office with constituent issues and legislative concerns:

Mailing Address | Pocahontas Building | 900 E. Main Street | Room 224W | Richmond, VA 23219

Email | DelMSimon@house.virginia.gov

Phone | (804) 698-1053

I always appreciate hearing from you!