Sometimes what you learn in civics class about how the government is supposed to work doesn’t seem to match up with the reality of policy making you see play out in the news. Particularly at the national level.
When asked why I decided to run for the state legislature I often tell people that I fell in love with the law making process when I went to work for my predecessor Jim Scott back in 1992. The thing I loved about it was that it actually worked the way you imagined it would in a 4th grade government class, or watching the story of “Bill” on School House Rock.
Last year I got a visit from a class of 5th grade students from Falls Church City who were engaged with a “write our own law” project. Their project: find a way to spend more time learning outside. Thanks to their advocacy and Governor Spanberger’s signing of our biennial budget, they’ve succeeded and we’re going to make that happen.
They came to Richmond to lobby me and other legislators, prepared talking points for me to use in testimony before the budget committee, and as a result, we now have a $100,000 grant program for school systems to create outdoor learning spaces. And that’s just a fraction of new education funding that Virginians will receive over the course of these next two years. Teachers can expect to receive a 4% pay increase per year (from 2026 to 2028), with state employees receiving 3.5% raises.
An Overall Historic Budget
This budget is historic: it allocates almost $2 billion to our education system, which currently stands as the biggest investment into Virginia’s public education and children since its founding. This includes specific funding for special education students and English learners. As a Virginian, I serve to protect and uplift young learners and will continue to do so in the face of Republican opposition and malpractice.
Higher education will also receive economic aid, as we’ve allocated $346 million over our previous baseline to facilitate operations and reduce tuition costs for undergraduates.
I am proud to support this investment in higher education not only because it makes students’ lives easier, but because it works towards an academic culture that protects young learners against political attacks. Young Virginians must be provided learning spaces which protect their freedom and intellectual curiosity. And this budget is going to help make that happen.
Over the past few years, we’ve experienced rapid healthcare cuts by a Republican Congress and President Trump. With the aid of data center consumption taxes, Virginia will provide $150 million to help those who will experience economic hardship first.
While my district in Falls Church and Fairfax county isn’t impact as heavily as our neighbors in rural Virginia, I am extremely proud of the work we did to cushion the blow delivered by the HR 1 (The Big . . . I’m going to go with UGLY . . . Bill) to patients and health care facilities dependent on Medicaid. This budget invests $350 million in a Medicaid Emergency fund to backfill some of the money that disappeared from the system. We’ve got to do everything we can to offset the effects of those MAGA lawmakers who are working to dismantle our national health insurance benefits. They do not have our best interests at heart.
The biennial budget also addresses homelessness prevention, eviction, and skyrocketing housing prices. We’re investing over $90 million in affordable housing options, homeless services, and eviction prevention programs. This means more resources all over: stabilizing workers, building new homes, and protecting families from separation. This means affordability in a very real and tangible way.
Then there’s the marijuana question: what’s happening and how does it affect Virginia? This budget has helped facilitate a smart solution to adult-use cannabis markets that are research-driven and informed.
Dispensaries are state-regulated and prioritize the safety of all Virginians - especially children. Academics have proven over decades that more government oversight on marijuana means kids have less access to cannabis on the streets.
This is a system which also protects consumers, fosters accountability, and contributes to our state earnings. With the help of this Democrat-driven budget, we’ve given adults a place to safely purchase cannabis, as is protected by Virginia law.
This budget is a culmination of everything that Virginians represent. Compassion and courage in the face of adversity, protection of children and families, and continued support for front-line workers. I like the direction we’re moving in. And I’m excited for what these next two years bring to Virginia.