Monday, January 15, 2024

2024 Session | January 15th Update

The 2024 General Assembly Session began on January 10th and we've hit the ground running!

During the first floor session, all the House members were sworn in and we officially elected Delegate Don Scott as the first black Speaker of the House. Since then, committees have started meeting and the General Assembly Building has been full of advocacy groups, lobbyists, and constituents - all eager to meet with legislators and to tour the new building. We've also had several legislative deadlines already for submitting budget amendments and introducing bills. No rest for those in the General Assembly!

 

Keep reading for more information on my 2024 Legislative Agenda, committee assignments, and more!

 

My 2024 Legislative Agenda

Now that the Democrats have once again taken over the House, I'm happy to report that my committee assignments have expanded and I have the opportunity to take on a larger leadership role in this area. Subcommittee chair assignments will be announced later this week.

Courts of Justice | I have been on this committee since 2020 and have been appointed Vice Chair.

Public Safety | I'm honored to be the Chair of this committee and look forward to working with my colleagues to enhance gun violence prevention initiatives, strengthen the relationship with law enforcement agencies, improve transparency, and hold our Department of Corrections to a higher standard.

General Laws | As I work a lot on these issues, I'm thrilled to be back on this committee.

Rules | Chaired by the Speaker, this committee reviews a variety of legislation and resolutions.

 

Please welcome new members to Team Simon!

We're rounding out Team Simon this year with some additional staff for session. Many of you already know Andrea, my Chief of Staff, and may have also spoken with Becky, our Administrative Assistant.

However, I'd like to introduce Spogmai Anwar, a recent UVA graduate, who is our Session Aide. She's interested in criminal justice, government transparency, ethics reform, and plans to attend law school.

Justin Sheppard is joining the team as our session intern. A junior at VCU, Justin also has an interest in criminal justice and would love to work at one of our federal law enforcement agencies one day.